Moneybox Posted September 1 Posted September 1 2 hours ago, skippydiesel said: Might be fun to meet up. Just did a quick & very dirty flight plan - would take me about 6 .5 flight hrs to get to Williams Creek. Added to this would be ground time , fetching fuel, etc. Say 8 -9 hrs all up. Rather than do this in one day, I would probably stay overnight somewhere along the Track. Allowing for one night there & back plus two nights at YWMC = 4 nights accomodation (or tent). ULP available close to most airfields, along the way, but at a pinch would use AvGas. 😈 I chose Marree as our destination as Williams Creek is where most of the tourist flights work out of. I don't want to be seen as stepping on their toes and Marree might be a bit quieter air traffic wise and maybe cheaper accommodation as well. Any way it's early days, we're heading north this week. We're only hanging about waiting for some AC parts to arrive by camel post. It's starting to warm up in the north but that's ok because we're headed to Carawine Gorge and Running Waters. 1 1
Moneybox Posted September 1 Posted September 1 38 minutes ago, Garfly said: MB, since most EFBs allow you to run their app on several devices, could you press an old iPhone/iPad into service so you could check your position while your main device cools down/charges up? (Assuming the stand-by has an internal gps). Yes I have OzRunways on the iPhone as well but it suffers from heat exhaustion just as badly as the iPad. I can navigate by map and compass but there's nothing so simple as following that Magenta line and seeing your destination show up on the 10mile range ring. 2
facthunter Posted September 1 Posted September 1 Of course it's simple, but do you have a back up? Nev 1
Moneybox Posted September 1 Posted September 1 3 hours ago, facthunter said: Of course it's simple, but do you have a back up? Nev I've asked Aircraft Automation for a price and availability on the SuperECO autopilot but so far no response. That should be my basic navigation leaving the iPad as the backup. Of course I still have GPS, maps and compass. 2
Blueadventures Posted September 2 Posted September 2 (edited) Had a great flight with a visiting flying mate from Victoria who also built and flys a Nynja. 1.2 hours out to the coast in the nice spring weather. Clear skies and good company in nice air. Edited September 2 by Blueadventures 9 1
Moneybox Posted September 2 Posted September 2 7 minutes ago, Blueadventures said: Times like this you want to be sure your seatbelt is well secured. 2 1 2
skippydiesel Posted September 4 Posted September 4 On 01/09/2026 at 12:18 PM, Moneybox said: I chose Marree as our destination as Williams Creek is where most of the tourist flights work out of. I don't want to be seen as stepping on their toes and Marree might be a bit quieter air traffic wise and maybe and maybe cheaper accommodation as well. Any way it's early days, we're heading north this week. We're only hanging about waiting for some AC parts to arrive by camel post. It's starting to warm up in the north but that's ok because we're headed to Carawine Gorge and Running Waters. Have you had a readof; Find the special procedures for flying around Kati Thanda–Lake Eyre in the En Route Supplement Australia (ERSA) under Special Procedures 10, which details rules specific to the Lake Eyre National Park area. Maree landing Fees $25/single engine. Williams Creek $15/singe engine. Seems that both of the above have " tourist flights work out of" "... maybe cheaper accommodation .." Do tell??? 😈
Moneybox Posted September 4 Posted September 4 10 hours ago, skippydiesel said: Have you had a readof; Find the special procedures for flying around Kati Thanda–Lake Eyre in the En Route Supplement Australia (ERSA) under Special Procedures 10, which details rules specific to the Lake Eyre National Park area. Maree landing Fees $25/single engine. Williams Creek $15/singe engine. Seems that both of the above have " tourist flights work out of" "... maybe cheaper accommodation .." Do tell??? 😈 No, no research yet. Cut the side out of a tyre today so I've been a little busy. Tonight we're camped in the remote Hickman Meteor Crater, NE of Newman WA. We dropped in here on our way north. Now we don't have a spare and our tyres can't be bought in the usual places so I think we'll be heading back home in a few days. I take a look at it then. 2 1 1
Reynard Posted September 4 Posted September 4 If you intend circumnavigating Lake Eyre I would strongly recommend reading the special procedures in ERSA as Skip indicates, as well as talking to local operators. You need to get familiar with reporting points, some of which are not in ERSA, and also the direction of flight as it may change from morning to afternoon. The local operators consider which angle the sun is for the best photography etc. A flight around the lake will take over 2 hours - it’s big ! Strongly recommend flying to the painted hills as well while you’re in the neighbourhood- quite spectacular. 2 2
skippydiesel Posted September 6 Posted September 6 (edited) On 04/09/2026 at 10:54 PM, Moneybox said: Cut the side out of a tyre today so I've been a little busy. After thought ; This what comes of fellas speeding down the freeway!! 😈 Edited September 6 by skippydiesel
Thruster88 Posted September 6 Posted September 6 Got to fly a new type today. Nice machine, didn't take long to feel very comfortable. Central West looking lovely with the Canola in flower. 11 1
kiwiaviator Posted September 10 Posted September 10 (edited) On 05/09/2026 at 12:54 AM, Moneybox said: No, no research yet. Cut the side out of a tyre today so I've been a little busy. Tonight we're camped in the remote Hickman Meteor Crater, NE of Newman WA. We dropped in here on our way north. Now we don't have a spare and our tyres can't be bought in the usual places so I think we'll be heading back home in a few days. I take a look at it then. Dad and I drove out to Hickman Crater in 2019. Interesting spot. It was discovered using Google Earth. I'll be in Newman from the 16th to the 20th. If you are still around, we should touch base. I have a 4WD ute stored in Newman for my visits. Edited September 10 by kiwiaviator Clarify location 2
Moneybox Posted September 10 Posted September 10 8 minutes ago, kiwiaviator said: Dad and I drove out to Hickman Crater in 2019. Interesting spot. It was discovered using Google Earth. I'll be in Newman from the 16th to the 20th. If you are still around, we should touch base. I have a 4WD ute stored in Newman for my visits. I’d love to catch up but we’ve already headed south. We’re at Peak Hill digging a few gold nuggets to help cover the cost of that tyre. I want to be home in Cue in time to pick up the post tomorrow. I’m expecting my Trig TT22 ADSB and hopefully my SuperECO AP and Astro+ ADSB receiver. I wanted to leave all this work until I got the plane into a hangar but the Shire application has been since January so I’ve given up waiting. I hate pulling the plane apart out in the dirt and wind but I don’t have another option right now. 4
RFguy Posted September 13 Posted September 13 (edited) Saturday morning Thruster 88 and I flew from his strip at Goolagong NSW to Cessnock NSW in his RV6A, to deliver a box. Wow that tiny plane can accelerate, (same engine as my Archer, but CS prop and half the weight) Was going DCT but a sea of cloud awaited us to cross the dividing range. DCT route turned into a bit of a wiggly string track as we kept the land regions visible amongst the low cloud within glide range. A few big rocks poking up from the low cloud (not fog) to keep it real. Nice up at FL115. 160 TAS ~ 32lph I think ish. then needed to hunt around a bit to find the airport (to have visual) with the local low cloud. Stuart got a near perfect landing. The usual two pilots flying the one machine controversy ensued. LOL quite amusing, IE we've flown enough together that it's like a pair of morning TV show hosts running a regular show. but we both know its all about not missing something. I dont know any other activity that has to same .... I dont know what its called..... interaction between two people. I dont think adopting multi-crew helps anything. A 2nd pilot is certainly a nice help when you need to read a map, text someone, look at adsb traffic, eat, look around in the circuit for other planes, or the airport... Why did I not fly my Archer.? There is a leak the static system I am chasing. Found a bunch of problems related to.... a combination of age (the aircraft- although it is younger than me) and likely "temporary repairs" gone permanent. pictures : Sorry just a post departure picture send to the desitination. No cloud and mountain pictures, we had our hands full with.... flying the airplane Edited September 13 by RFguy 9 2
Moneybox Posted Saturday at 04:20 AM Posted Saturday at 04:20 AM I slipped out to the airport to escape all the AFL hype on the box. My new three port fuel valve had to be fitted. It was a simple enough job but I still don't have easy access to the airport. I just taxied over to the back gate where I parked the van, that way I could just climb back and forth over the gate to do the job. I took it up for a couple of quick circuits just to keep my hand in. I'm desperately waiting for an installer to come back to my on when or if they can fit my new AP and instruments. 7 1
RFguy Posted Saturday at 09:27 PM Posted Saturday at 09:27 PM (edited) I would not be publicly stating that you used legally questionable access to an airport. Suggest just stick the the " I went flying bit" and avoid telling everyone you are a lawbreaker ! It doesnt do much for showing to the public that we as a group are good law abiding citizens, and not cowboys. Suggest you delete your post and repost. Edited Saturday at 09:29 PM by RFguy 1
jackc Posted Sunday at 12:27 AM Posted Sunday at 12:27 AM 2 hours ago, RFguy said: I would not be publicly stating that you used legally questionable access to an airport. Suggest just stick the the " I went flying bit" and avoid telling everyone you are a lawbreaker ! It doesnt do much for showing to the public that we as a group are good law abiding citizens, and not cowboys. Suggest you delete your post and repost. The way I work is? Am I committing a Crime? Am I compromising anyone’s safety, or my own? Am I causing anyone financial loss? If it’s a NO answer? If it’s a stupid law……I generally ignore it. IF I think there is a big chance of getting pinched for it? Do it AFTER midnight 🤩 1 1 1
facthunter Posted Sunday at 12:44 AM Posted Sunday at 12:44 AM Sorry Jackc.. I'm with RFguy on this. Advocating defying the Law is not a good look for this Forum. Nev.
skippydiesel Posted Sunday at 01:54 AM Posted Sunday at 01:54 AM 1 hour ago, jackc said: The way I work is? Am I committing a Crime? Am I compromising anyone’s safety, or my own? Am I causing anyone financial loss? If it’s a NO answer? If it’s a stupid law……I generally ignore it. IF I think there is a big chance of getting pinched for it? Do it AFTER midnight 🤩 I'm with you and others, who recognise that we Australian's are subject to far too much petty, irrelevant, unworkable and down right pointless legislation/rules. There was a time (or is it just self propaganda?) that Australian's, recognising worthless legislation, just ignored it. To be absolutely clear I am not a Sovereign Rights person, jut not an ovine accepter of rediculouse rules. 😈 2
Marty_d Posted Sunday at 04:05 AM Posted Sunday at 04:05 AM 2 hours ago, skippydiesel said: jut not an ovine accepter of rediculouse rules. 😈 Including spelling? 😁 1
skippydiesel Posted Sunday at 04:13 AM Posted Sunday at 04:13 AM (edited) 9 minutes ago, Marty_d said: Including spelling? 😁 Good man - make a point about my dyslexia, rather than the substance of my message 😈 Edited Sunday at 04:14 AM by skippydiesel
Moneybox Posted Sunday at 06:27 AM Posted Sunday at 06:27 AM 8 hours ago, RFguy said: I would not be publicly stating that you used legally questionable access to an airport. Suggest just stick the the " I went flying bit" and avoid telling everyone you are a lawbreaker ! It doesnt do much for showing to the public that we as a group are good law abiding citizens, and not cowboys. Suggest you delete your post and repost. Ok, I agree with what you're saying however it's a bit late to edit my post but I don't mind if admin do it. Just to make it clear. I have every right to be at the airport and to use the facilities but at this time there's some sort of dispute going on between mining companies. It one company has leased the airport from the Shire of Cue. Now there's a second mining company carrying out fly-in-fly-out from our airport. I only get the information second hand but I'm told there's a dispute over the second mining company's use of the airport. The dispute has nothing to do with private pilots such as myself. The only other privateer is a long time user and has a second padlock on the gate. If I need to access the airport I should call the shire office and they send somebody to unlock and let me in. When I return from my flight they return and let me out. This is all very good during office hours but a bit of a problem on the weekend during the AFL final. I'm not doing anything apart from avoiding the shire paying overtime rates for an employee to give me access. 4 2
skippydiesel Posted Sunday at 09:42 AM Posted Sunday at 09:42 AM (edited) "The only other privateer is a long time user and has a second padlock on the gate..." Seems that a president has been established, that is acceptable (or turned a"blind eye "to) to your Council- fit your padlock. Why no run it past your Council, as a cost saving measure & service to a good rate payer,- even a verbal (unofficial) nod will get you in. 😈 Edited Sunday at 09:45 AM by skippydiesel
Moneybox Posted Sunday at 10:50 AM Posted Sunday at 10:50 AM 1 hour ago, skippydiesel said: "The only other privateer is a long time user and has a second padlock on the gate..." Seems that a president has been established, that is acceptable (or turned a"blind eye "to) to your Council- fit your padlock. Why no run it past your Council, as a cost saving measure & service to a good rate payer,- even a verbal (unofficial) nod will get you in. 😈 I've already put it to the CEO. He said not right now, he can't do anything while he gets the current situation sorted out. Sandra spoke to another councillor about the locks being changed preventing us getting in and he knew nothing about it. My guess is that the lease to the one mining company was an "under the table" deal. Now the CEO is in a tight spot. Nobody should have exclusive use of a public amenity. 2 1
skippydiesel Posted 12 hours ago Posted 12 hours ago The Oaks - Crookwell Hobbs 1.2hrs Ambient temperature about 30 C. Engine start normal. Post start checks - normal. When oil temp above 50 C, taxied to run up area. Run up checks all normal (no recollection of checking electrical charge) Took off. Very little aircraft activity in Sydney Basin, possibly due to lumpy air (not real turbulence). On Climb-Out to 4000 ft (Max 4500 ft step above) oil temperatures a bit high @ 108 C. Still in the green but lowered nose to increase speed/airflow Continued Climb to 4500 when past CTA step. Oil temperatures established at 100C - prefere mid 90 C (Mental note to remove the last of the winter oil cooler blanking). All right with the World. Stunning scenery. Aircraft performing flawlessly. Crookwell was part of my conversion training from GA-RAA cross country review. Landed there that time - my prop mowed the long grass. This time just overflew - seems that they now have two parallel runways, some distance apart. One all marked out as per standard , the other no markings but similar length. Back home via Mittagong - Climbed up to 5500 ft for the return , much smoother trip. Life just great! Just as I was preparing my thoughts, to make my 10 NM overfly call to Mittagong, my radio/Mode S transponder went dead & I got a Battery Fail Warning on my Dynon - "Oh Bother Says I XXXXXXX" Checked everything I could in the air. Decided on a Precautionary Landing at Mittagong. Pulled all the none essential breakers,to conserve battery power. Made all the calls but transceiver dead! On descent for YMIG my electricals all came back. What to do? Can almost see The Oaks and still at 4000 ft, engine purring. Made a random call on 126.7 CTAF describing problem and that I would continue on to The Oaks. Naturally power went off again - on / off several times, on the short run to The Oaks. Unable to reduce prop from Course to Fine for landing. Made a Straight In Approach/Landing - something I rarely do, so a bit fast and not the smoothest - nothing bent. No other aircraft arround. On investigation found: The start battery down to 11.8 V The wiring spade connection between Generator & VR, significantly heat effected (see pic)- could this be the problem? Why did my main battery not last longer? I think the VR must not have been charging the battery adequately, for at least the last two flights, I somehow have not noticed (lesson learnt). I will: Replace the plug/spade connectors - make sure they are very tight & may even use a smear of conductive grease. Charge the start battery to full capacity. Start the engine and carefully note the power input volts & amps for any deviation (I hope the CARMO VR , only 100+hrs, has not failed). 😈 1 3
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now