Started the Couger

Hongie

l am still here.
No work on the plane though.

Been busy with other things and had my daughter in Hospital for a while.
l have fitted power steering to my 57 Chev.
Fitted a dof dof upgrade to the stereo in the Magnum.
Done a TV comercial with two cars.
Done 2 days on a Movie set in another car.
(pays for flying stuff)
Upgraded the PC in the garage to network cable and fitted a TV card which of course l fitted a external aerial.

Should be back to it next week.
Thinking of buying a Tig welder to make my own engine mount or get work to buy a Tig welder l can borrow.

regards Bruce
Can you tell us what movie?

Sloper

It was Mrs Biggs, a English production about the wife of the great train robber.
Supplied a HG Premier for use as a undcover cop car for two days.
Ment to come out next year to mark the 50th anerversy of the Great train Robery.

You get fed well, meet a few faces you have seen before on TV and it pays very well.
Paid for the rego and insurence of all my cars for the year.

regards Bruce

Sloper

Goodaye all

Have roughly fitted the fuel cells in the fusulauge.

Front one in.

The front one hangs on 2 extra braces l had to put in with 2 straps going around it to secure it, l may use 2 side strapes as well.
The staps shown are tempory, l need to finalize the height when installing the filler neck.
Had to face the fittings forward so as not to interfere with the pedals.

Rear one.

Had to use some angle to allow the tank to hang from the rear parcel shelf brace, will be handy to fit a cover too.
The front is supported by the V brace.
Using angle for bracing the shelf l have caputed the tank to keep it form moving sideways.

Staps will be rubberised and some foam will be used to keep all metal from contact with the tanks.

Being someone who likes the idea of visuel checks on fuel levals before take off, the front tank can be dipped and the rear tank will have a visuel tube showing the leval between the rear
seats. l will still have guages but it confirms what the guages say.

Also got a new edition for the garage.
Can you see it?

Have some SAAA members coming around on Sunday to chew the fat.

regards Bruce

Hi Bruce
are the tanks poly?,we did make a alum tank for our front fuse ,but changed it for the same tank as yours ,this allowed us space for the canopy actuator to be installed
good progress on your build
Cheers gareth

Sloper

Goodaye all

Hope you had a good Christmas and didnt drink too much. :cheers:

Been finalising the fuel cell install today, had to drill a large hole in the cell for the sender unit.
l drilled the hole with the cell on its side so as not to get any plastic in it.

Well l didnt get any plastic swarf in in but when they drilled holes for inlets and outlets those Yank's certinaly did.
Not happy about it but was going to check anyway, l got 90% out and will get one of my children with smaller arms to get the rest.

Funny it had one of those American made quility stickers on the box.

regards Bruce

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
There is a guy putting the new 160hp UL motor in a Sierra I will be watching this motor as it is only 20kg heavier then a Jab 6 this would give the Cougar a 150kts cruise + as it will cruise at 130kts on about 115hp.

damkia

There is a guy putting the new 160hp UL motor in a Sierra I will be watching this motor as it is only 20kg heavier then a Jab 6 this would give the Cougar a 150kts cruise + as it will cruise at 130kts on about 115hp.
Any thoughts or engineering needed to increase the Vne? At 150+ kt cruise you would be pretty close to the original stated Vne of 160kt. Not much margin for error...

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
When our engineer was going through the testing required and dive speeds of 210kts the design only needed some small adjustments , our aircraft limits have large safety margins, like the flap speed limit if 65kts where the aircraft has been tested at 120kts full flap.
An extra 20kg in weight is not much, any other aircraft with 160hp motor will weight a lot more than 150kg. The fire wall engine support needs to increased, just hope the guy takes my advice on that.

Guernsey

When our engineer was going through the testing required and dive speeds of 210kts the design only needed some small adjustments , our aircraft limits have large safety margins, like the flap speed limit if 65kts where the aircraft has been tested at 120kts full flap.
An extra 20kg in weight is not much, any other aircraft with 160hp motor will weight a lot more than 150kg. The fire wall engine support needs to increased, just hope the guy takes my advice on that.
Thanks for the response regarding the 'extra weight'. I was not only thinking of the additional weight to the aircraft but also the C of G. and the strength of the nose wheel assembly.
Regards, Alan Marriette.

Attachments

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
The aircraft we are talking about with the 160hp is a Sierra , With our aircraft with heavier motors, we now have a bigger nose leg from a 11/4" to 11/2" dia. The fire wall is moved to suite the weight of motors used like the Sierra if using a 80hp or a 120hp there is 2" difference .