Sierra 100 Kit Build Underway

skeptic36

Sigmet, I can't decide whether you are a tactless, inconsiderate, thoughtless friend, or an a55 hole trying to take the pi55.
I hope it's the former.
Maybe it's time to shut up and let Kev deal with it in his own time and his own way.....

Kev, Kev, where are you? Are you ok? You are known to be a voracious reporter of all things aeronautical on this forum, yet now you are deadly silent. Why? Don't let it get you down. Take heart and remember the old saying "Any one you walk away from is a good one"! When I flew in to Wings & Wheels I noticed the runway was solid bitumen with an extension of grass/gravel underlay and no soft wet muddy patches anywhere. You guys have got the best of the best! Witnesses said on social media that you landed too fast and too far up the runway, on the nose wheel, and bunny hopped along like a flying wheelbarrow. That couldn't be true, could it? If so, your pride and joy must be some beast to land. Thinking of you in this current mess. Go buy a big bucket of Araldite and glue the thing firmly to terra firms before it turns you into a statistic. Your old pal, SIGMET.Sid.
Sigmet,Noted that you visted our latest Wings and Wheels day.I hope you enjoyed your day out and your flight to south Grafton.As the meet and greet person I was wondering which aircraft you were flying.I have good photos of all the aircraft and thought you might like one forwarded to you.Do you have any suggestions on how we might improve the day for next year.Col.

kgwilson

I thank skeptic36 and bexrbetter for pointing out to me the error of my ways, however Kev and I go back a long way - in fact to the days of us both hang gliding and being active at Waikato Aero Club. My comments were only intended as friendly banter between two old mates, and for this I apologise. Kev may be out of the air for some considerable time, as I have heard his damage could be quite significant. Sadly, this precludes any aerial combat and seeing whose aircraft flies fastest thru the Kilmore Gap Will it be the plastic fantastic or the Sierra 100 with the bigger than big donk up front?

To colred I would say that the only person to "meet and greet" me at Wings & Wheels was an elderly gent on a red quad bike who told me to park at the end of the taxiway near the runway. It was a long walk to the clubhouse, and when I got there I noticed an old bloke sitting alone and moaning and groaning that he was feeling the day to be too much for him. I asked someone who he was and if he was waiting for Old Nick to come and get him. They said he was the official "meet and greet" person!

You ask for my suggestions for the next Wings & Wheels - fire the "meeter and greeter" and bring on some topless barmaids with a tray of cold ones instead!

Looking forward to the next Wings & Wheels!

SIGMET.Sid
When a person declares another as a "Mate" one would expect that the two are known to each other. You have failed to identify yourself even after I queried this in post 117. Your latest posts are full of inaccuracies and innuendo with a smattering of sarcasm thrown in. I have a fair idea who you are and it is not who you say. The term "Internet Troll" comes to mind. You are on my Ignore list.

Hi Kevin,
Started reading through your construction for you beautiful Sierra 100. Just couple question I need answering if you don't mind.
What tools were necessary and how much did it cost? What extra options were available when purchasing the kit and how much did that cost? Last question, where did you buy your electronics?

Hi Kevin! You're going like a house on fire there! I too broke a (chinese) vice bending the diagonal (seat back support) tubing. I've slowed down a bit lately as I've been working on fibreglass bits. I have to agree with Sloper ... I hate fibreglass!!! I'm also waiting on the seats/upholstery which I'd like to have before deciding on a final fore/aft position for the rudder pedal bars. With no adjustment available, I need to get that right. Seems the upholsterer in Taree has a three month backlog of work. How happy are you with the rudder pedal height? I would have thought it would be a bit difficult to lift feet up to the pedal tops, particularly as the need for brake application can come out of the blue quite suddenly. I've been considering lowering mine by an inch but am wide open to thoughts and suggestions. John.
Where did you buy seats/upholstery?

kgwilson

Hi Kevin,
Started reading through your construction for you beautiful Sierra 100. Just couple question I need answering if you don't mind.
What tools were necessary and how much did it cost? What extra options were available when purchasing the kit and how much did that cost? Last question, where did you buy your electronics?
I didn't have any special tools other that an air pop rivetter. Other than that just imperial spanners & drills & good sheet metal shears. I also bought a cheap air chisel & a rivet snap fitting for the solid rivets. The basic kit was around 50K if I remember correctly with a Jab 4 cyl engine. I think I'd spent about 70K by the time I was finished. I put a 6cyl Jab engine in & had a bunch of extras like Matco disc brakes, winglets, upgraded upholstery (Garry Morgan had it made & it was too expensive but I paid for it anyway) Wing tanks, LED strobes, Dynon EFIS, EGT & carb temp gauges etc from Aircraft Spruce. All other instruments came with the kit & engine. The kit had most things but I ended up buying better fuel line, extra wiring, more connectors, more (better) oil hose. I don't think it matters what kit you buy there are always extras. Ray Tolhurst of Wedgetail Aircraft is now the manufacturer.

Thanks for the information, would you say it could've have been a lot cheaper if you didn't go with the numerous upgrades such as the better upholstery and V6 engine.