HGFA or RAA for trikes?

facthunter

First Class Member
First Class Member
Have you checked all the "other " factors like insurance etc? I have no view either way and the letter from your HGF rep seems reasonable in every way to me.. . Nev

kasper

I received some good advice from members here on this thread about this debate, thank you.. But now I have another spanner to throw into the works on this subject whilst attending AirVenture last week, I was informed that RAA don't require a bi annual aircraft ( Microlight ) Rego inspection , unlike the HGFA.. So this , if is the case, will also effect the bottom line of who is the more economical choice, eg the fee charged for an inspection every second year must be taken into account,even if HGFA rego cost is more attractive than the dearer RAA Rego, factor in this cost (?) what ever it is , it will likely raise the $22 a year advantage the HGFA seem to have up more inline with the $160 a year Rego RAA charge. Let alone the added travel costs Bienially. Then that just leaves the difference in Membership right ? Dissapointing news for me, as the figures originally had me leaning in favour of keeping the Trike with HGFA
Depends on your use and requirements.

With RAAus your additional inspections on top of the rego fees depends on use and manufacture.

If it’s single seat under 95.10 then there is only rego no inspections.

If it’s kit built or home built under 95.32 then again no inspections during ownership.

If it’s factory built 95.32 AND you want to use it for hire and reward then you have annual inspections to price in. If you want to use it for personal use only then even though it’s a factory built no annuals required.

Haven’t bothered checking out 95.32 LSA requirements on personal use and any required inspection.

For me my trike is no fee other than rego as it’s petsonal use only.

Downunder

A local HGFA trike owner does his own inspection and it is co-signed by his mate (aircraft owner/builder with good 582 knowledge )who goes over and double checks the owners inspection.
I'm not sure if that is the general rule or there are no suitably qualified people in this area to do it.

A local HGFA trike owner does his own inspection and it is co-signed by his mate (aircraft owner/builder with good 582 knowledge )who goes over and double checks the owners inspection.
I'm not sure if that is the general rule or there are no suitably qualified people in this area to do it.
Yes that sounds like a more sensible arangement for inspections , its the way I remember doing years ago when I was still a HGFA member , it worked just fine for 10 yrs with no problems.. especially if your in an isolated area .. Lance