Do we go back to the paddock

facthunter

First Class Member
First Class Member
They are possibilities but all heavier than the 447and 503 etc .No one's talking about the smaller rotaries. Why not? Nev

fly_tornado

Gary, can you design it so that the builder can choose between fabric or aluminium covering? Folding wings and easy to trailer would be advantageous

geoffreywh

Unfortunately, wing fold (somehow) and trailerability are 'must have' options as much as I don't like it. A 28 foot airplane weighing 100kgs costs the same in a hangar as a Cessna 172...And , these days that is $100 plus per week....Neither am I altogether in favour of Alu. covering. The handling will cause lots of "hangar rash" which will spoil it quickly.......Is a fabric covered alu. wing possible?

skeptic36

Why not electric, surely we have the technology, the motor has to be cheaper, even if the batteries and controllers are expensive, with the savings in fuel and maintenance, and the added reliability they have to be worth consideration.

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
All our aircraft will go into a trailor, a hangar is a big cost and this is where we are trying to get away from. Motors yes all the v twins are heavy but it is cost. I just got a hirth f33 28hp it has all the options and $6500.00 landed. Fabric V alloy its your choice, but a slightly longer nose for the weight.
How simple or how much work does one want to put into a small aircraft. The more work put in the nicer the aircraft, and higher the performance. From a thruster / to a cub/ or like the RF4 motor glider. or all. I have just done a plan for a daimond for a guy with a longer fuse and a 11-13m wing as a motor glider he will put in a VW. It is like a RF4 but simple and a metal wing. As a mater of interest the super daimond wing spar is ok up to 13m, that makes the daimond about a 15G aircraft, and in the sierra at 600kg its 8G.
Simple is not always light, but it can be cheaper to get into the air. Interested to here if you would build or like to fly away, and at what cost, also would you register it or just go and fly as we did in the 70-80s.

bexrbetter

Typical sort of thread; Guy offers possible cheap basic, simple plane so clients all start listing the options/capabilities they want included. :no way:

As Henry Ford said: "If I listened to what the clients wanted, we would be still riding around on horses".

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
You never can please everone, but feed back is interesting to see trends. Yesterday I did 5 hrs for a cost of $2.50 for a 2,500'launch now thats cheap flying and fun every one wants. well i do any way . when i retire i wont have the money to fly a 172.

fly_tornado

Gary, I don't think you can produce an aircraft any more cheaply than you are already, the technology involved is fairly mature, unless you can introduce mass produced parts you aren't going to achieve any significant cost savings.

turboplanner

[QUOTE="bexrbetter, post: 469383, member: 8594"
As Henry Ford said: "If I listened to what the clients wanted, we would be still riding around on horses".[/QUOTE]

And as Ford found out many years later, if they had listened to what the clients wanted, they would not have had the Edsel fiasco.

bexrbetter

And as Ford found out many years later, if they had listened to what the clients wanted, they would not have had the Edsel fiasco.
Indeed true, he innovated then rested on his laurels, big mistake (well before the Edsel btw). He simply refused to accept that people would want more than "good enough".

fly_tornado

if Ford had ramped up the development of the model A 10 years earlier he would probably maintained a microsoft like level of market share for a lot longer. New product stimulates demand

facthunter

First Class Member
First Class Member
In the past few months I have had a bit to do with model "T" Fords again. . I did a lot in the 50's. Seeing they were built before 1910, they are a very light simple and effective engine, that would have been way ahead of just about anything else then. Exotic (at the time) vanadium alloy steel used in many critical parts. Unbelievable low price astounded competition. Nev