Do we go back to the paddock

geoffreywh

I always admired the "Airbike" and the " Legal eagle" types But living near the sea the wind might be too much for anything like that except for early/ late flights. When I think about it , that's what I do nowadays. hmmmmmm

fly_tornado

Gary have you had a look @ the CX5 that Dave Thatcher designed? They have built a good community out of the idea of a cheap plane

http://www.cx4community.com/

If I was in the market for a homebuilt I definitely look at something like this over a fragile tube and fabric design. It might be double the cost but it would be a lot more usable than something that will struggle in windy days.

One other thing you need to consider with homebuilts is that its a huge task and without support from the manufacturer or designer its beyond 99% of the population.

paulh

A while ago HITC had a lengthy thread with posts about his market research into basic low cost aircraft - some good thoughts there. If recreational aviation is going to grow or at least self sustain, rather than slowing dying out as the old blokes get too old (me included) then we need something that would appeal to the younger people cause we aren't going to compete with jet skis, dirt bikes, 4WD's or even paramotors etc with $60k plus aircraft, many of which don't look cool to the younger eye, or take years to build.

A three axis version of a trike perhaps. A simple aircraft that appeals to adventure, looks good, has a sense of fun, trailerable so it doesn't need to be hangered, isn't a full weekend commitment, and must have some sense of style and dash. (As the average rec pilot apparently does 50hrs per year which is really only 1hr per week flying around the patch, scoffing at the 50kt aeroplane is perhaps a little condescending)

Anything kit built would have to be easy, the quicksilver/skyranger concept of simple construction method that can be done in a garage with basic tools and without noxious fumes.

Aerolite 103 concept perhaps with a bit more pilot protection

I'll watch with interest Garry.

Downunder

Most sports (motorsports) have some kind of "racing" which gives publicity and excitement to the public.
This is something recreational flying (RAA) has always missed.
Is there an oportunity for slow and cheap aircraft to engage in some sort of racing? Maybe a low and slow pylon type?

paulh

The Moyes LiteFlite Dragonlfy - very simple, very slow, not sure how much

This guy must not care about over stressing the airframe but it looks like he's having fun

bexrbetter

Anything kit built would have to be easy, the quicksilver/skyranger concept of simple construction method that can be done in a garage with basic tools and without noxious fumes.
I've researched build methods and build times from around the World and Morgans are already near the top of the tree so I'm confident it can be worked out.

ruffasguts

Gary have you had a look @ the CX5 that Dave Thatcher designed? They have built a good community out of the idea of a cheap plane

http://www.cx4community.com/

If I was in the market for a homebuilt I definitely look at something like this over a fragile tube and fabric design. It might be double the cost but it would be a lot more usable than something that will struggle in windy days.

One other thing you need to consider with homebuilts is that its a huge task and without support from the manufacturer or designer its beyond 99% of the population.
Having built a Thatcher CX4 and spent time with Dave Thatcher in his workshop during the Thatcher Flyin in Pensacola i can assure people that no sophisticated equipment is required to build these brilliant aircraft . The CX5 according to the supplied materials list costs approx US$ 23,000, my CX4 in Australia complete less engine let me buy a beer short of A$10,00
Mick W

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
Our super diamond is simple ,and a brigs and stratton motor would fly it. But it can be made cheaper by making a more basic design, a plan build to flying for about 7k and about 200hrs to get into the air. De rig at the end of the day and take it home. Last weekend I did 8.5 hrs flying for about $15 this is the sort of flying that is fun.and every one can afford.

ave8rr

Our super diamond is simple ,and a brigs and stratton motor would fly it. But it can be made cheaper by making a more basic design, a plan build to flying for about 7k and about 200hrs to get into the air. De rig at the end of the day and take it home. Last weekend I did 8.5 hrs flying for about $15 this is the sort of flying that is fun.and every one can afford.
Time frame to see something? Might be just what some folk are looking for.

Russ

You guys are waaay behind the times....chap NQ built a ground effect aircraft 30 yrs ago, Cessna powered, trialled it in the Deeral river, last I heard he was chasing more power out of it. Would not be surprised if it's gathering dust up here somewhere.
Same chap gave me a video of a massive Russian built machine, it appeared to go really well.
( lurker here frank A might be able to shed some light, we trialled it right at his back door , Oye frank, it was ken C's project )

Just googled Russian ground effect aircraft.......bingo

Last edited: