Do we go back to the paddock

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
It has be put to me to build a cheap (7-9K_ aircraft this would be with a motor and prop, single seat. A simple cheap and easy, to but together A four stroke motor with an electric start.
I would like to here what you think, as many out there I here are wanting to get away from where we are going.
Another project that I have been working on is a ground effect machine, that will also fly. A 4 seater twin motors that can operate on a boat licence as a ground effect it will fly at about 3m
A flying one will require a different licence depending on what you want to do with it .
A single motor can be used, but a twin motor will be much cheaper, A four stroke motor with electric start. .
There are so many uses a ground effect machine can be used for, and a much quicker form of transport.
They have been around for many years, but build mainly by boat builders ( heavy) when you build it as an aircraft it has a lot more advantages. Feed back wanted.

bexrbetter

Ground effect won't work due to noise laws (limited sales because of restricted areas of use) - IMO.

Even if you could keep them quiet, Australian Government doesn't like anything new that they haven't had time to write up 238 new laws to protect us from hurting ourselves.

ave8rr

It has be put to me to build a cheap (7-9K_ aircraft this would be with a motor and prop, single seat. A simple cheap and easy, to but together A four stroke motor with an electric start.
I would like to here what you think, as many out there I here are wanting to get away from where we are going.
Excellent idea and not too soon in coming. Would like to see you post some of your ideas on the subject.
Mike

nomadpete

Are you thinking Quicksilver type a/c ?
On the subject of ground effect, I always thought it would be a great way to get around in the Gulf country during the wet season. Possibly get good sales also as a new recreational toy.

bexrbetter

Nomadpete, I am for anything exciting and new, I was asked for feedback and I am offering my perspective as a manufacturer who has been through the wheels. Noise abatement, safety, liability, etc are big issues for any manufacturer in Oz.

A good readup of each State and Territories Government "Personal Watercraft" rules and regs is a first stop. Only a fool would invest a new un-categorised product in Oz without seeing the Government's take on it first.

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
Noise is not a problem, I am not the first in aust there was a big one in Cains and another being built in vic. as a boat rego there are no problems, and legal.
The 18m single seat motor glider is under construction.

kasper

Are you looking at cost of kit being $7-9k
A. all in with engine/prop/wiring loom/instruments etc ie everything other than regn?
B. for a kit of materials to construct or kit of parts for assembly?
C. high drag/low performance (rag/tube) or low drag/high performance (covered frame enclosed)

The answers to these might make it easier to answer if there is actually interest.

facthunter

First Class Member
First Class Member
Might be a return to grassroots. Good basic design with basic materials. Steel tube for the engine-pilot ,U/C cell. Wood or al tube for the rear and wood or composite spar strutted hi wing, fabric covered. Nev

Keenaviator

Would you call the Back Yard Flyer 'cheap' ?

It is around $19k US
I'm pretty sure this is Gary Morgan's thread. He builds aeroplanes. Something like this may be pretty economical to build. It's structure is simple. Perhaps instead of a welded aluminium tube frame (of which I'm not a fan), a riveted tubular frame. It is powered by a briggs and stratton 'v' twin engine, direct drive, probably around 35hp.